Wednesday, August 11, 2010

#20...Mother Mother Ocean



Mother, mother ocean,
I have heard you call,
Wanted to sail upon your waters
since I was three feet tall. You've seen it all,
You've seen it all.~~Jimmy Buffett


One of my tip top favorite songs ever by someone other than Jackson Browne--but another JB.
I can so relate to these first few lines--my sentiments exactly.

I can still remember the first time I saw the ocean. Actually, it was the Gulf of Mexico and it's still #1 in my heart. I couldn't have been more than 4 or 5 years old. I went to Corpus Christi with my mother, my uncle and his wife and my cousins. I can still remember my uncle taking me out in the waves. I was terrified and thrilled all at the same time. I can remember there were lots of shells all along the beach. To me, it was the perfect day. I didn't travel much as a child or take regular vacations--they were a thing of luxury. When I was probably about 8, I went with my neighbor's family to Padre Island. I found hundreds of sand dollars, played on the beach with their daughter, jumped in the waves. Another perfect couple of days. Then, I didn't go to the ocean for many years until high school. Galveston. Good times.
Then, my uncle bought a place on the beach in Louisiana and I began to go there at least once a year for many years. Sadly, that place was taken by Rita and will never be the same. Again, good times while they lasted.
I saw the Atlantic in New England. So cold, but the beaches were gorgeous, rocky and so different from what I had known.
Then, about 20 years ago, I began to go to Florida. I will never forget the feeling when I first saw those shimmering emerald waters. I was in awe--and yes, it did bring a tear to my eye. The sand was so white--like sugar. The water was so clear--so perfect. I saw dolphins jump for the first time outside a marine park.
So, whenever I can, you'll find me with a chair, and umbrella, a cooler and a cool beverage just sitting there on the beach for hours on end...watching. Just watching the magnificence of Mother Nature at her best.

No comments:

Post a Comment