Sunday, August 8, 2010

#16....Batter up!

I think I may have mentioned my adoration for fried okra. Actually, you can fry up just about anything and I'll eat it--and I've got the body to prove it. There are a few exceptions to this: any kind of organ meat being the main one. But pretty much anything else, especially items in the vegetable category are so much more appealing when fried. You won't catch me eating zucchini that's been steamed (it squeaks when you chew it), but put some batter on it and I'll deal with the squeak. It doesn't necessarily have to be battered--i.e. fried potatoes. I think the main criteria for me anyway, is crunch. In the case of fried potatoes, they must be soft and crunchy. Make sense?
Then there is the big daddy of all things fried....chicken fried steak. I grew up on it and life would be meaningless without it. Good steak, crunchy crust, homemade cream gravy (a topic on it's own), and the following supporting cast would be my last meal if I ever found myself having to make that choice. Fried potatoes, Fried okra, fresh sliced tomatoes, pinto beans and homemade yeast rolls. Variations could include fresh black eyed peas, fried squash, fresh off the cob fried corn--the list goes on.
Fried potatoes are in no way to be confused with french fries. Not the same. Fried potatoes are fried in a cast iron skillet with onions, salt and pepper. They're sort of steamed then crisped up at the end. Here's the recipe:






Fried Potatoes

4-5 Medium sized potatoes--any variety will do. I use russet
1/2 Medium onion-chopped
Vegetable oil, Crisco or canola oil. About 1/4" in the bottom of an iron skillet.
Salt, Pepper and maybe some garlic powder

Peel and slice potatoes about 1/8" to 1/4" thick. The key is to keep them uniform in thickness.
Heat oil in skillet to about 350 degrees--give or take. Add potatoes. Add onions. Cover and cook approximately 15 minutes over med heat--you might want to leave the lid ajar just a little to let some of the steam escape. At some point, add salt and pepper. When potatoes begin to brown and soften, turn gently with spatula. Cover and cook a few minutes longer. Uncover and continue cooking until most of the potatoes become crispy. Remove from pan and drain on paper towel. Test for seasoning and adjust if necessary.

Add more oil to skillet and fry up some okra while you're at it:

http://www.crazyauntpurl.com/archives/2006/07/fried_okra_1.php


I love Crazy Aunt Purl and hers is the closest to what I remember my grandmother's fried okra to be like. While you're there, read some of her stuff. Good times. In fact, she is my inspiration for blogging.

Now, the sensible side of me knows that this stuff is not for the middle-aged, overweight, smoker, drinker, cusser. I know I should be eating tofu and bean sprouts, but that just wouldn't be any fun at all. I don't eat this stuff all the time, but would if I could get away with it. I limit my intake of Southern Heaven to once or twice a week--and then only just one dish at a time--dammit.






No comments:

Post a Comment