Sunday, November 7, 2010

The rest is gravy

I could go on for days about how much I love REAL cream gravy. I call it cream gravy, but actually, I use milk. I find it's too thick and rich when cream is used, but to each his own. And, since I only have three followers, I don't mind admitting that my favorite way to have it is on fresh white bread. Fresh white bread. None of that whole wheat cardboard crap. White bread. Disclaimer:  I do not consider the above to be wet bread.......which I hate. Assuming wheat bread has been bought by the healthy, thin person of the house, biscuits will work. Now, you put some cream gravy on a sweet cream biscuit and you'll think you've died and gone to heaven. Then, while you're at it, put a whole bunch on your chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes. YU UU UU UU M!
I'm posting a recipe but it's pretty much all intuition. You have to know when you've added enough flour. You MUST use either bacon, sausage, pork chop or chicken fried steak drippings. No oil or butter. (Wow, I just remembered how much I love fried pork chops too. The thin ones that get really crispy when you fry them like CFS. )
You have to know that when it boils and bubbles, take it off the heat!! It will thicken more as it cools.
You have to know that it ain't good left over.
You have to know that it's got about one zillion calories and it's worth every one.


CREAM (MILK) GRAVY
1/4 cup pan drippings, 
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
In the pan which the meat was cooked, add 1/4 cup flour to the 1/4 cup drippings already in the pan. Cook and stir over medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes or until mixture starts to brown. Add the salt and pepper then slowly add the milk, stirring constantly.Continue cooking until gravy boils and thickens. If gravy is too thick, add a little milk. Adjust seasonings to taste.

~~~Cooks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment