Sunday, March 13, 2011

Spring Forward

Hallelujah!! Love when the time changes in the spring. Hate it in the fall. I don't care that I lose an hour of sleep in the spring. The extra hour of daylight more than makes up for it.
My question though this morning is...when the heck did we start this? I soooo don't remember my grandparents changing the clocks when I was a kid. Perhaps they did and just never told me. Perhaps I was just happily living in my own little kid world and never noticed. I simply cannot recall when this started or if it was going on all along.
I looked online and came up with all sorts of info about Benjamin Franklin and the Railroad Commission and Ronald Reagan and W. Never really saw if DST began on a particular date in history. Frankly, I was too lazy to research it any further. Not that big a deal on the grand scale of things.
Moving on....
Things I like about spring (especially in Texas) in no particular order:

1.  Bluebonnets/wildflowers on the highways and byways.
2.  When the trees start to bud out in that really fresh neon green color.
3.  Redbuds
4.  Longer days
5.  A new sport to hear about other than football or basketball. (ok..so basketball is still going on with that March Madness thing, but I can see an end in sight for at least a week or two. When does the new bb season begin anyway?
6.  The Colonial. I admit I haven't been in a couple of years. I used to go every year for about 25 years, but they just flat pissed me off when they took away "my hill", made the margaritas hardly worth the 20 minute wait in line in a hot ass tent, and the last straw was when they served soft drinks in bottles and had no ice available to pour them over. What kind of jackass came up with that plan? He must not have been from Texas is all I can say. Ok, so maybe this shouldn't be on my list of favorite things about spring, but it was a tradition with me for so many years, it's hard not to think about it.
7.  Baby critters being born and starting to move about. Saw my first baby snake yesterday. He looked so sleepy.
8.  Birds celebrating.
9.  WARMTH
10.  Anticipating a spring trip to Florida.
11.  Flip flops
12.  Violets
13.  Sun
14.  Severe weather/storm clouds....it's just so powerful and amazing. Tornadoes excluded.
15.  Rain on a weekend.
16.  School being out for spring break. This has to do with the flipping traffic close to my house. This item is also included on my favorite things about summer.

The summer list is longer. Love it. Can't wait for it. Oh, I know I got a little bitchy toward the end of it last year, but it's long forgotten and I'm sure I will complain when it's 110 degrees this year. I try not to complain though. This year, I will think of when it was 10 effing degrees with 4 inches of ice on the roads. That should cure me of my summertime blues.

No comments:

Post a Comment